Learn to fence!
If you've ever thought about whether fencing was for you, AFVC run regular courses for adult beginners.
When is it?
Our next adult beginners course is starting on 30th October, and will run for six weeks.
What is it?
The course will be taught with Épée, one of three weapons in modern fencing. This is the most practised weapon in the sport today, and is derived from the 19th-century Épée de Combat, a weapon which itself derives from the French small sword. Modern Epee is the simplest of the three weapons in that the whole body is the target, and there are no right of way rules as in Foil and Sabre fencing.
What will I learn?
During the course you will learn:
- To be able to adopt the correct en garde position, and coordinate foot and hand actions to execute a simple attack or a defensive retreat.
- To appreciate the idea of fencing distance and be able to maintain it.
- To be able to execute a simple parry, and simple direct riposte following a parry.
- To be able to continue a simple attack, avoiding the simple parry by the use of a disengagement.
- To have experienced supervised bouts with other course members.
- To understand basic fencing rules and etiquette, inlcuding basic piste layout, and the role and powers of the referee.
Where is it?
The course is run weekly at our Wednesday club night from 7pm to 8:30pm, at Larkmead school in Abingdon. Afterwards you are encouraged to stay on and practise what you have learned with your course colleagues and other club fencers.
How do I sign up?
The cost is £75, and all equipment will be provided. You need to wear long tracksuit trousers and a t-shirt.
For more information please email beginners@AbingdonValeFencingClub.uk or call Tony on 07870 154 755.
If you are ready to register, please click here to fill in our application form.