We are not currently running beginner's courses for adults. To be notified when our next course is running, please email info@AbingdonValeFencingClub.uk
Learn to fence!
If you've ever thought about whether fencing was for you, AFVC run regular courses for adult beginners, and a weekly ongoing adult beginner class.
When is it?
Our adult beginner sessions run every week on Thursday nights between 8pm and 9pm. Coaching is provided by one of our coaches, and we continue with what has been learned on the beginners course.
If you haven't yet attended a beginners course, don't worry, come along for a free taster session, and then we can get you up to speed if you would like to carry on!
What is it?
The classes are taught with Épée, one of three weapons in modern fencing. This is the most practised weapon in the sport today, and is derived from the 19th-century Épée de Combat, a weapon which itself derives from the French small sword. Modern Epee is the simplest of the three weapons in that the whole body is the target, and there are no right of way rules as in Foil and Sabre fencing.
What will I learn?
During the classes you will learn:
- To be able to adopt the correct en garde position, and coordinate foot and hand actions to execute a simple attack or a defensive retreat.
- To appreciate the idea of fencing distance and be able to maintain it.
- To be able to execute a simple parry, and simple direct riposte following a parry.
- To be able to continue a simple attack, avoiding the simple parry by the use of a disengagement.
- To have experienced supervised bouts with other course members.
- To understand basic fencing rules and etiquette, inlcuding basic piste layout, and the role and powers of the referee.
Where is it?
The class is run weekly at our Thursday club night from 8pm to 9pm, at Larkmead school in Abingdon.
How do I sign up?
The cost is £5 per session, and all equipment will be provided. You need to wear long tracksuit trousers and a t-shirt.
For more information please email beginners@AbingdonValeFencingClub.uk or call Tony on 07935 860 541.